Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Favorite Housing Stock

   Nah, it's not Toll Brothers or D.R. Horton nor Pulte Group. My favorite home builder stock is Ryland (RYL) which I've followed and traded since the 90s. Their profile is as follows:

The Ryland Group, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, operates as a home building and mortgage-finance company in the United States. The company’s operations cover various aspects of the home buying process, including design, construction, and sale. It offers single-family detached homes; and attached homes, such as town homes, condominiums, and mid-rise buildings, as well as sells land and lots. The Ryland Group also provides mortgage-related products and services, as well as title, escrow, and insurance services to its homeowners and subcontractors. It markets its homes to entry-level, and first and second-time move-up buyers. The company was founded in 1967 and is headquartered in Calabasas, California.

   Ryland's near 52-week lows so I'm not buying now. I do think ~$16 is a good price for each RYL share but as mentioned before, I normally don't buy on weakness. I prefer to buy as a stock goes up and then pyramid the position as higher prices lead me upwards. The market's pulling back today but housing stocks are nursing middling losses. This doesn't mean anything based on a 1-day snapshot but I am of the opinion that housing stocks will recover way before the real estate market recovers and they're my indicators for the impending real estate recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment